THE NEW YORK TIMES – Citing the continuing death toll from the coronavirus pandemic in South Florida, organizers of the Art Basel Miami Beach fair — which each year attracts the global stars of the art world — said on Wednesday that they were canceling this year’s event, which had been scheduled for December.
Mayor Dan Gelber of Miami Beach said he was “disappointed, but not shocked” by the cancellation of the event, which would have been the 19th edition.
Mr. Gelber said that after months of discussions with the fair’s staff, the event had been put off until December 2021. The fair’s organizers, based in Switzerland, said in a statement that conditions in South Florida, as well as international travel restrictions and quarantine regulations, had left them “no other option.”
Read More at THE NEW YORK TIMES: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/arts/art-basel-miami-beach-canceled.html
During the Art Week the artistic side of Miami is replaced by the attention of the whole world. Museums and galleries take this global showcase to display their best collections. Journalists, advertisers, architects and designers of all styles and branches organize fairs and exhibitions in neighborhoods such as Design District, South Beach and other central neighborhoods of Miami.